About Mother Tongue, Heritage Language, and Bilingual Education (MHB)
The Mother Tongue, Heritage Language, and Bilingual Education (MHB) Research Association has been conducting its activities for the purposes in the research areas stated below:
- Revitalization of research activities in the objective areas
- Improvement of quality of practice in the objective areas
- Sharing and exchanging information between members of the Association
- Collecting resources (reference literature and research data) and sending information
Language education for infants, children, students and other learners who need the bilingual education shall be covered. Presently, the areas specifically include matters below:
- Education of Japanese language as a heritage language
- Bilingual education for deaf and mute children and children having difficulty in hearing
- Education of mother tongue, heritage language and bilingual education for native, resident and newly-arrived children and students (including Japanese language education)
- Mother tongue, heritage language and bilingual education for children and students of returnees, international schools and foreigners’ schools
- Various languages education (including English education in Japan) striving to cultivate multilingual persons
- Others (for example, assessment methods, research methods and data base)
The Association members can also participate in the Special Interest Groups (SIG) shown below (the members may participate in one or more SIG):
- Overseas Heritage Japanese Language Group (the website is https://sites.google.com/site/keishougo/ )
- International School Group (the website is https://sites.google.com/site/mhbinternationalschool/home )
- Assessment Group
- Bilingual Writing Group
The MHB Research Association also plans and conducts the MHB Research Convention (in summer) and study sessions (as needed). Additionally, it issues bulletins.
Information from the MHB Research Association are sent and received by using list of E-mail addresses (the posting and receiving can be possible only through E-mail addresses of registered members) and through the website.
No annual fee is required for members of the MHB Research Association. Persons approve of the Association’s aims are anytime accepted as the members.
Please apply through “admission information” of our website http://mhb.jp/admission
Secretariat of the MHB Research Association
C/O Junko Majima Research Room, Studies in Japanese Language and Culture, Graduate School of Language and Culture, Osaka University
Ao Matani Higashi 8-1-1, Mino City, Osaka Prefecture, 562-8558
Phone and fax: 072-730-5192 (direct line)
E-mail: mhb.jimukyoku AT gmail.com
- *Please note that "AT" in the email address above is a substitute for symbol "@" to avoid scam emails coming through from the link on the website. When you are sending us emails, use "@" without spaces before and after the symbol.
For more information please refer to:
- Bylaws ( in Japanese) ⇒ http://mhb.jp/regulations
- MHB officers, 2016 ⇒ http://mhb.jp/trustees-en
- Secretary minutes of the special meeting in August 2003 for establishing "Mother Tongue, Heritage Language, and Bilingual Education Research Association" (in Japanese) ⇒ http://mhb.jp/archives/10